Instructor/Trainer Program FAQs
- I want to become a Certified Instructor. How do I get started?
- What are the levels of certification USDF offers?
- Is there a recommended reading list?
- Is there additional education that I can do to help in my preparation?
- How do I find out what workshops or exams are scheduled?
- Can I attend a workshop or exam that is outside my home region?
- Is attendance at the workshops required before participating in an exam?
- What does it cost to take an exam?
- What is the FEI Instructor Program?
- To ask other questions click here
There are several places to start this journey. You may visit the website to find a complete list of workshops that are being offered, you may review the recommended reading list and supplement materials on eTRAK, and you may contact the program liaison.
USDF currently offers certification at the following levels:
Training – First Level
Third – Fourth Level
FEI B Level (PSG – I1) – special approval needed
FEI A Level (I2 – GP) – special approval needed
Yes, you can find the complete list here. USDF recommends that workshop participants and certification candidates begin with the USDF Lungeing Manual, the USDF Teaching Manual, and the USDF Training Manual (Classical Training of the Horse) as a starting point. These manuals are the basic curriculum for the program.
Yes. Visit eTRAK, the USDF online learning center, for in-depth learning modules specific to the program. It is required that workshop participants and certification candidates complete the modules for Principles of Teaching, Classical Training and Lungeing.
Three workshops (lungeing, riding/training, and teaching) and a pre-certification workshop are offered leading up to an exam. It is recommended that instructors wishing to become certified attend these workshops. You can find a complete schedule of workshops and exam on the Education Calendar.
Yes, you can attend any workshop or exam that is on the schedule.
It is not required that certification candidates attend a workshop prior to an exam.
You can find a complete list of all exam fees here.
The FEI Instructor Program is geared toward instructors at the PSG through Grand Prix Level. There are very specific requirements, including an application process, for being accepted into the program. Those interested in this program are not required to be previously certified. Visit the website or contact the program liaison for more details on this program.