Donor Bill of Rights
Philanthropy is based on voluntary action for the common good. It is a tradition of giving and sharing that is primary to the quality of life. To assure that philanthropy merits the respect and trust of the general public, and that donors and prospective donors can have full confidence in the not-for-profit organizations and causes they are asked to support, we declare that all donors have these rights:
- To be informed of the organization’s mission, of the way the organization intends to use donated resources, and its capacity to use donations effectively for their intended purposes.
- To be informed of the identity of those serving on the organization’s governing board, and to expect the board to exercise prudent judgment in its stewardship responsibilities.
- To have access to the organization’s most recent financial statements.
- To be assured their gifts will be used for the purposes for which they were given.
- To receive appropriate acknowledgement and recognition.
- To be assured that information about their donations is handled with respect and with confidentiality to the extent provided by law.
- To expect that all relationships with individuals representing organizations of interest to the donor will be professional in nature.
- To be informed whether those seeking donations are volunteers, employees of the organization or hired solicitors.
- To have the opportunity for their name to be deleted from mailing lists that an organization may intend to share. The Donor Bill of Rights was developed by Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP), the Association for Healthcare Philanthropy (AHP), Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE), the Giving Institute: Leading Consultants to Non-Profits. www.afp.net
- To feel free to ask questions when making a donation and to receive prompt, truthful and forthright answers.
We strongly urge that you consult with your attorney, financial and/or tax advisor to review and approve this information provided to you without charge or obligation. This information in no way constitutes advice. We will gladly work with your independent advisors to assist in any way we can.
FLORIDA REGISTRATION NUMBER: CH37307
A COPY OF THE OFFICIAL REGISTRATION AND FINANCIAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE DIVISION OF CONSUMER SERVICES BY CALLING TOLL-FREE WITHIN THE STATE. REGISTRATION DOES NOT IMPLY ENDORSEMENT, APPROVAL, OR RECOMMENDATION BY THE STATE.
- 1-800-HELP-FLA (435-7352)