Adequan/USDF All-Breeds Dressage Sport Horse Breeding (DSHB) Awards
Designed to recognize outstanding breeds competing in dressage sport horse breeding, these awards are awarded to the top performing horses in all levels of DSHB based on breed.
Specific All-Breeds DSHB Award Rules
These rules are in addition to the General Rules.
- A horse must be declared with USDF for a participating organization (PO) by August 1 of the award year in order to participate in the all-breeds award program. Horses previously declared will remain declared for that organization.
- Declarations can be made by submitting breed papers to USDF, along with your horse’s USDF number.
- All rules pertaining to the DSHB HOY division must be fulfilled.
- Owners of foals who have not yet received pedigree papers from their organization may submit, prior to August 1 of the award year, a letter from the organization stating that the foal is eligible for the Adequan®/USDF All-Breeds Awards from that organization.
- Owners should access the list of all-breeds awards participating organizations on the USDF Web site. NOTE: Some USDF All-Breeds Participating Organizations (POs) do not give awards in the DSHB category. It is the responsibility of the owner to verify if their PO has chosen to recognize the DSHB category. This information can be found on the USDF Web site.
- Once an all-breeds declaration has been made, it can only be changed by submitting the All-Breeds Awards Declaration Form and the $50 declaration change fee to USDF by August 1 of the award year.
- Horse and owner must meet all requirements of the PO.
- Specific eligibility criteria for DSHB HOY must be met.
- For competition purposes, the age of a horse is considered to be one year old on January 1 following the actual date of foaling.
- Age/sex eligibility is determined as follows:
- Fillies and colts three years of age and under may show only in dressage sport horse prospects classes/categories.
- Mares and stallions age four and over may show only in breeding stock classes/categories.
- Geldings of any age may not show in breeding stock classes/categories. Geldings age three and under may show only in sport horse classes/categories.
- Minimum of three scores:
- From at least two different judges
- From three different USDF-recognized/USEF-licensed competitions
- Median score of 65 percent or higher to qualify
- Horse must have a USDF Lifetime Horse Registration (LHR) when scores are earned.
- Owner must:
- Be a USDF Participating (PM) or Business Member (BM) and be a member in good standing with USDF when scores are earned.
- Verify eligibility with PO
- Verify that an all-breeds declaration has been made by accessing the USDF score check or owner’s portfolio
- There is no membership requirement for the handler.
- Scores must be from the same age/sex category.
- Scores must be from USDF DSHB scoresheets (which are appropriate to each judging category) and that are current at the time of competition.
- The median score is the score exactly between the highest and lowest scores.
- Scores must be from classes where horses are judged individually in-hand including Great American Insurance Group/USDF Breeders’ Championship (USDFBC) Series Final in-hand classes. Scores from restricted classes that are otherwise eligible will count towards median score calculations including individual breed classes. Scores from amateur or junior/young rider handler, group and under saddle classes are not eligible for DSHB all-breeds awards.
- Only the final adjusted percentage score (after callbacks) for each class will be counted.
- Given that there are enough horses that have met the minimum award criteria as detailed above, POs must award first place in each of the age/sex levels (colt/gelding, mare, and stallion). They have the option of awarding up to five places per age/sex level. These winners (those placed by their PO) will receive an award certificate.
- Optional categories which may be awarded:
- Fillies of current calendar year
- Colts/geldings of current calendar year
- Yearling fillies
- Yearling colts/geldings
- Two-year-old fillies
- Two-year-old colts/geldings
- Three-year-old fillies
- Three-year-old colts/geldings
- Four-year-old and older maiden mares and yeld mares (mares without foals)
- Four-year-old and older broodmares with or in foal as of January 1 of competition year (mare only to be judged)
- Four-year-old and older stallions
- All materiale categories
- Participating pony organizations and organizations with pony divisions may offer pony awards in the above categories.
- Given that there are enough horses that have met the minimum award criteria as detailed above, POs must award at least first place in each level of the optional categories that they have chosen to recognize.
- First place winners in each of the age/sex levels will receive a custom cast USDF medal. If the PO chooses to award additional placings below first, second place winners will also receive a custom cast USDF medal.
- For optional categories that the PO has chosen to recognize first place winners will also receive a custom cast USDF medal as will second place winners if recognized by the PO.
- Other prizes may be given by the PO at their discretion.
- Only up to second place in any “open” or “optional” recognized category will be awarded on stage at the Adequan®/USDF Annual Convention.
For show management documents, see our forms & documents page.