During their annual meeting on December 4, 2012, held at the Adequan/USDF Annual Convention, the USDF Executive Board approved the following official position on western and gaited dressage:
• USDF will in no way imply or encourage a position that "western dressage" or "gaited dressage" and dressage as defined by the FEI are the same thing.
• USDF will take no action that would indicate any preference of any "western dressage" organization over another, or imply that any has been designated an official voice or national affiliate of USEF or any other standing that would, by other disciplines or breed, be perceived as equivalent to USDF as the USEF recognized affiliate for dressage.
• USDF will stand firm on a position that the USDF, USEF, and FEI dressage rules, including terminology and criteria, cannot be used in a way that uses traditional concepts and terminology to mean something "different".
• USDF will identify USDF educational programs and materials that would appeal to individuals interested in dressage, including western and gaited study, or who have students with that type of horse, as it relates to dressage as defined by the FEI.
• USDF will consider providing applicable website links to other organizations.
Founded in 1973, the United States Dressage Federation is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to education, recognition of achievement, and promotion of dressage. For more information about USDF membership or programs, visit www.usdf.org, e-mail email@example.com, or call (859) 971-2277.###